Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Philippines

Day 6

For our last day in the Philippines we knew we had to check out the wet market, which is just a big fresh Farmer's market. They had everything...produce, fish, meat...and live chickens that you could choose and have butchered and feathered for you to take home. The produce was beautiful and we bought some delicious fruit and vegetables. The meat didn't look all that sanitary and we decided to forgo choosing our own chicken...very tempting though.
There was this interesting fruit...well one of many(and I can't remember the name)...that if you made a slit in the skin you could squeeze it out, kind of like an eye ball. It wasn't my favorite.


Jason enjoying a fresh mango.
No refrigeration? No thanks.


Octopus anyone?
At the market we bought some talapia to take home and make fish tacos for dinner with. They were delicious.
A whole lot of eggs.
After the wet market (and a delicious lunch at a Greek restaurant) we walked around the temple grounds. Jason's dad Ralph took so many pictures of us we felt like newlyweds having our wedding pictures taken. But we were thankful that Ralph was willing to take pictures of us, he is a great photographer. The temple grounds were beautiful.


Jason took this one.
This is a photo Ralph took last November. He must have taken it from his office window, which is directly across the street. What a view.

4 comments:

Becca said...

Those fruit stands make my mouth water! YUMMY! I LOVE fresh fruit! The Temple pictures are amazing! I am so glad you had fun! I think you should think of more to post though! I look forward to reading them..hehe!

Ralph and Edy said...

I agree with Becca, it has been fun looking forward to, and reading these reports. Laura, are there any more Philippines memories you can write about - or should we bring you back for a few more adventures?

Marcia said...

The wet market was amazing. Some of the fish is probably fine, but since we aren't used to it...GROSS! That eyeball fruit was a little icky too, but I would have loved some fresh fruit.

THE ARMSTRONGS said...

Who wouldn't want to buy meat and seafood that has been sitting in the heat for days? Completely healthy. Ha! I love it. I love the temple pictures too. Did you get to do a session? Rebecca