Friday, May 1, 2009

The Philippines - an adventure!

For the last 3 years Jason's parents have lived in the Philippines. We have wanted to get over there and visit them before they move home to Utah this summer. In April we were finally able to do it. The whole experience was an adventure beginning with the travel there. From Salt Lake we flew to Seattle, then to Tokyo and then on to Manila; with a total travel time of 24 hours! The first thing that hit me as we manoeuvred our way through people to get out of the airport was the HEAT and humidity. We arrived at midnight, but still that first breath of air outside the air conditioned airport was a thick one. As time went on I gradually got used to it, but my hair did not (hence, my hair in a pony tail most days.) As I went through our pictures deciding what to post I realized how much we packed into 6 days. I also tried to narrow down the pictures, but there are so many and each one shows so much of our experience that is was hard to do.

Day 1

We visited Mabuhay, which is a home where children with medical conditions, such as eye problems, cleft palette, club feet, come to stay while awaiting surgeries or other treatments. Jason's mom Edy visits every week to sing songs and do a craft or other activity. The children there were so beautiful, happy and grateful for what they had, which in most cases was not very much. Everyone participated in the songs and craft. Even the older teenage boys, and they did it with a smile.





I have so much I want to share it is overwhelming. I've decided to post something new each day so I don't miss anything.

2 comments:

Becca said...

YEAHHH!! I am so excited! It looks like you had a great time!

Marcia said...

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I'm so glad you were able to do it. I can relate to the humidity. We deal with that in the summer a lot.